Sunday, December 13, 2009

Divorse before marriage

Written in June 1999

In Politics, whenever we find the dissidents arising even before the formation of a ruling party, I often recall my friend's brother Ashwin's incident "DIVORSE BEFORE MARRIAGE" that happened long back.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Ashwin, not so tall, not so handsome, quite intelligent, after completing his MBA from XLRI
Jhamshedpur, joined as a Manager in Cococola company in Delhi and started looking out for a bride. Earning five digit salary with a company provided car and quarters, was his major asset. Along with his parents, sister and a mediator one fine morning they left for Basaveswarnagar in Bangalore where Arathi lived in a small 2 bedroom newly constructed apartment. As mediator knew their place, they could get into the right place, right time. Festive atmosphere was all spread at Arathi's place. This was the first ever experience of this kind for the young and simple girl...Also this was Ashwin's first Voyage, which created more tense than the campus interviews he faced. Arathi's house was already filled with their close relatives of around 15 to witness the celebration, welcoming the guests with a lot of respect and home made Mangalore Bajji and Bisibele bath. A few minutes later arrived our heroin, who wore a purple colored saree with a matching blouse with a broach tied to dupatta, with a similar colored rhombus shaped bindi. Infact nobody could have realised that she had fought with her mother that she won't wear the saree, but a simple salwar kameez. An eye on the dress that disclosed her womenly possessed assets and an inhale of her smell was quite sufficient for him to get a kick. He strictly followed all the lessions and instructions that his sister taught. When the two were asked to have a chat, he didn't want to loose a moment of having her close up..Making his eye contact with hers, said "You look gorgeous!!" and inagurated the talk. Her sunken head nodded with a gentle complimentary smile and said Thanks. She didn't expect he would hit a boundary on the
very first ball of the innings. Now it was all again his turn.., "well..you see..I'm a quite reserved
person and have not talked to girls much since my school days.."; she then slowly raised her head. " ...my hobbies include playing cricket, ofcourse once upon a time, reading books and listening music...I heard you have passed junior exams in some classical music..but I don't understand A,B,C of it! I just do listen to Pankaj Udhas's ghazals sometimes,hmmm...old Kishore kumar's songs and that's it..". When she was still occupied by silence, he added again, "may I know yours?" "...I don't know how I passed the music exam..infact my mom had interest, she sings too..I listen to Hindi movie songs..and yeah...I have heard many ghazals..I watch a lot of movies..but I don't like reading..that's why I did my B.A; Perhaps even if I'm left alone in Siberia with a book, I may hardly opt for it!!" and giggled. He hardly heard anything, but was just looking at her dark and attractive eyes, color of the skin, her teeth, lips that had sticked with a gently applied violestish lipstick, her soft hair that had slept over her straight sticken back.., but he still managed to giggle. He talked little things about his parents, asked about her parents, and finally asked "Do you like me?" She just lifted her face and conveyed the message that he was longing for. His heart plunged out to express his love for her, but his reserved mouth interrupted and postponed it to the next time..


* * * * * * * * * * * *

Per his promise, 2 days later he called her from his Uncle's house in Udupi, "Hello....it's me..."
"Hello..???" from the other side.
"Didn't you recognise me?" he querried her.
"Ofcourse..I do..You sound different; I didnt expect you would call me..It's like hearing you after a long time.. " "Same feeling to me..the every hour, the every minute and the every second, I think of you and sirf you".
"Yes..Mr.Shayarji..even I waited for your call so desperately.."
"That's my pleasure...one of the best days of my life..since 2 nights, I could not sleep you know?
and all the time, your picture that has mesmerised me had blocked my eyes.."
Listening to his sweat words, she giggled and he enjoyed the every second of it.
"your voice is just great...I love your voice...and infact.." continued he, with full determination
this time, "..and infact.." said finally "..I,..I love you..."
"Even me too.." cooly she said and giggled and he gulped every bit of it for the cost of just an STD
call. "When shall we meet again..?" he asked.
"See..Ravi, ever since you have moved out of Bangalore, it's become quite difficult.. It's been a while we have met.. I have your picure, otherwise I would have forgotten your face by now,, haha... my appa has already started looking out for a guy and something needs to be done soon....Hello..Hello..."

Beep..Beep...beep..beep..

"Ufff...No!!!!!!See akka, once again cut!! these stupid telephone lines!.. Ravi had called me after a
long time you know and I was telling him about appa's plans..."

"Well,,Thank God..he will try sometime later then and I won't disturb you haha.. Atleast I can now wait for my Ashwin's call that he had promised me", Arathi took a deep breath and started waiting for her fiance's call which never turned up again..Arathi never received call from Ashwin, but after a day or two, her father received a call from the mediator only to inform them of another guy for her.."

No comments: